The history of Casa Masoli is related to the Rasponi-Bonanzi family, which has for generations preserved and enhanced it.
In 1724 the family bought the house and added it to the different other proprieties, villas and castles, they already possessed.
The building belonged for more than one century to the Rasponi Counts, called Bonanzi from 1808 when Dott. Gaetano Bonanzi declared as heirs his brother Carlo and sister Caterina Rasponi, Count Alessandro's adoptive son and daughter. The Bonanzi was an old and rich Ravenna family to which the medical profession brought them fame and prestige.
The family owned huge properties among which palazzo Grossi di Castiglione di Ravenna, a beautiful villa in Coccolia, and also a building in via di Roma in Ravenna.
Subsequently, different owners succeeded till 1970, when my family purchased it.
Then renovation started and lasted for several years till the current aspect.
The house, situated in the old town of Ravenna, close to the main square, was built between the end of the seventeenth century and the beginning of the eighteenth century.
First certain data information can be found in the Napoleonic register, stored at Ravenna Land Registry office, where the Rasponi-Bonanzi purchase is recorded.
The residential building has three floors and is located between via Girolamo Rossi and via Zanzanigola. As soon as you enter the main entrance, on the right there is a fresco painted room (now, used as breakfast room), which originally was used to welcome the guests.
Along the corridor, you will notice an impressive stairway which directs you to the upper floors. On the first floor, "la stanza dei sospiri" has to be pointed out. On the ceiling ruins of a nineteenth century fresco painting can be admired: this room was the main drawing room of the house (unfortunately after the second world war bombing, precisely 22nd March 1945, the house suffered big damages both on walls and on the fresco paintings, therefore was condemned 13th April 1945).
On the top floor there are three rooms currently reserved to the bed and breakfast guests but originally (according to a nineteenth century tradition) belonged to the servants.
On this floor a wonderful view of the roofs of the town and bell towers of the amazing basilicas, which are the pride and history, can be admired.
On the ground floor, the house walls wrap, like a casket, a little but gracious court, which once separated the masters area from the stables and depositories.
Two are the elements that capture the guests eyes: the big linden tree in the middle of the court, roots being nourished by the old river bed Padenna, which flowed near the house, and secondly, the eighteenth century tower, which rules over the north side and once allowed control of the surrounding area. After renovations, from 2004 some rooms of the house are used as R&B providing every comfort: private room, air conditioning and tv. Every room is named after every member of the family: Room Anna, with its provencal style pastel green coloured tapestry, Room Chiara with its romantic style in rosy-pink colour, Room Alessandro with its elegant and refined atmosphere, yellow being the predominant colour, enriched with splendid angels decorating one of the walls suggesting peaceful slumber, finally, Room Oride, with its classical style and pale colour tones.
Furthermore, the wall of every room is embellished with watercolour paintings, lithographs and drawings of the famous Ravenna painter Ruffini which donates a touch of prestige to this elegant atmosphere.